Friday, December 7, 2012

Battered Fish Nuggets

I love fish and chips, but I rarely ever find frozen fish products that I consider to even be edible. I may have enjoyed frozen fish sticks when I was 3, but I quickly outgrew that phase, and there's at most 3 frozen fish products I am willing to eat if they are presented to me. Other than that, I tend to only really enjoy similar fish products at restaurants or freshly made at home.

At a recent trip to Trader Joe's, I bought a few of their frozen fish products to try. One of the these was the Trader Joe's Battered Fish Nuggets. In all honesty, I didn't have much faith that I would like these, and cringed a bit at the thought of fish "nuggets." They were priced at $3.99, and offered four servings (with four nuggets for each serving), so I figured they were at least worth giving a try.

After baking these nuggets in the oven, the first thing I noticed was how much grease seemed to have leaked from them during the cooking process. After taking the first bite, the grease was a bit too much for me. However, I did notice that they crisped a bit more after being allowed to cool for a few minutes. As for the oil, I did use a paper towel (but for those that don't mind the excess oil/grease, this surely won't be a concern).

The fish was surprisingly flaky, and did taste like higher quality than one would expect from fish nuggets. Considering the price, I do think these are a great option for a battered frozen fish product. I did enjoy them, but would most likely not buy them again. At least, not for myself, the rest of the family loved them, and I think these would be a really great replacement for fish sticks for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment